- Electronic News Resources
- Newspapers Currently Received
- Historical Newspapers available in Microform
- About the Davis Enterprise
Government Information Resources
- Databases for Government Information: A - Z List
- Research Guides
- Infomine: Internet Resources (http://infomine.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/search?govpub)
- USA.gov Reference Center (http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Reference_Shelf.shtml)
- Federal and State Tax Forms
- Citing Government and Internet Resources
- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
The UC Davis Shields Library maintains collections of daily print newspapers from the local region, major California Newspapers, major national newspapers and a small number of foreign newspapers. We retain microfilm archives of many of these newspapers. Via electronic subscriptions, we also have access to the full text, with full-text searching, of hundreds of other newspapers.
Notes on Newspaper Indexing
Our electronic full text newspapers are searchable by word or name or phrase. See our Newspaper Subject Guide. Most search screens allow you to limit by date, and to limit searches to full text, title, or first paragraph. Ask at a reference desk for assistance with searching newspapers.
In addition, the library maintains print indexes for selected newspapers, including the Christian Science Monitor, the Los Angeles Times, the New York Times, the Times of London, the Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post. Print indexes are located in the Humanities and Social Sciences Department on the 2nd floor of the Shields Library.
Several unique historical indexes provide indexing for historical California news sources:
- California Information File, 1846-1985.
- A microfiche copy of a card file in the California State Library, this set indexes the Sacramento Bee and Sacramento Union, and San Francisco Chronicle, as well as other historical newspapers. 550 microfiches.
- Microcopy: F861 C34 1986 mfll
- San Francisco Chronicle Index, 1950-1980.
- Also a copy of a card file created at the California State Library. 277 microfiches.
- Microforms: AI21 S25 B42 1986 mf11
- San Francisco Newspapers Index, 1904-1959.
- 699 microfiches.
- Microforms: AI21 S25 B4 1986 mf11
- California News Index.
- v. 1-6, no. 2. July 1970-Oct/Dec 1975.
- HSSGIS Reference: AI3 C2