About Health Sciences Libraries
- PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?tool=cdl&otool=cdlotool)
- CAB Abstracts (http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&MODE=ovid&NEWS=N&PAGE=main&D=cabz)
- CINAHL Plus Full Text (http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=ip,uid&profile=ehost&defaultdb=rzh)
- Embase (http://www.embase.com/home)
- Electronic Databases A-Z
- Electronic Journals
- Electronic Texts
UCD Health Links
- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
An Appreciation from
Dr. Dennis Styne
Regarding the value of the support from the Order Sons of Italy for the UC Davis health sciences libraries' collections, Dr. Styne says that, "Without a major library, like our health sciences libraries, which have the latest journals, the latest books and the latest online database searching systems, many of our patients would go undiagnosed for years. Now, within days of a new discovery, we can access this information. We can help children who might be born today within hours of their birth. While, if we had no such facilities, we may not have been able to diagnose them for months or years.
My father-in-law was proud to be a member of the Sons of Italy, my wife regularly attends the Italian American Bar Association, and we share warm feelings for those who take pride in their Italian heritage."
University of California, Davis
School of Medicine
Professor and Chair Appointed: 1989
- B.S., Northwestern University, 1969
- M.D., Northwestern University, 1971
- Board Certificate, Diplomate of National Board of Medical Examiners, 1971
- Board Certificate, Diplomate of American Board of Pediatrics, 1976
- Board Certificate, Diplomate of American Board of Pediatric Endocrinology, 1978
My research interests are as follows: pediatrics; endocrinology; metabolism; Cushing's disease; hormones; puberty; growth hormones.
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- American Pediatric Society
- Endocrine Society
- Lawson Wilkins Pediatric Endocrine Society
- Society for Pediatric Research (SPR)
- Western Society for Pediatric Research
- 1989-1990, University of California, Davis, Department of Pediatrics, Associate Professor and Chair.
- 1988-1989, Radioimmunoassay Laboratory, University of California, Davis, Co-Director.
- 1983-1990, University of California, Davis, Associate Professor.
- 1977-1983, University of California, San Francisco, Assistant Professor.
- Glaser N S;Kuppermann N;Yee C K;Schwartz D L;Styne D M. Variation in the management of pediatric diabetic ketoacidosis by specialty training. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. 151(11): 1125-32, Nov 1997.
- Golub M S;Styne D M;Wheeler M D;Keen C L;Hendrickx A G;Moran F;Gershwin M E. Growth retardation in premenarchial female rhesus monkeys during chronic administration of GnRH agonist (leuprolide acetate). Journal of Medical Primatology. 26(5): 248-56, Oct 1997.
- Glaser N S;Styne D M. Predictors of early remission of hyperthyroidism in children. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 82(6): 1719-26, Jun 1997.
- Styne D M. New aspects in the diagnosis and treatment of pubertal disorders. Pediatric Clinics of North America. 44(2): 505-29, Apr 1997.
- Golub M S;Keen C L;Gershwin M E;Styne D M;Takeuchi P T;Ontell F;Walter R M;Hendrickx A G. Adolescent growth and maturation in zinc-deprived rhesus monkeys [see comment]. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 64(3): 274-82, Sep 1996.
- Coulter C L;Read L C;Carr B R;Tarantal A F;Barry S;Styne D M. A role for epidermal growth factor in the morphological and functional maturation of the adrenal gland in the fetal rhesus monkey in vivo. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 81(3): 1254-60, Mar 1996.
- Korte C;Styne D;Merritt T A;Mayes D;Wertz A;Helbock H J. Adrenocortical function in the very low birth weight infant: improved testing sensitivity and association with neonatal outcome. Journal of Pediatrics. 128(2): 257-63, Feb 1996.
- Styne D M. Thyroid dysfunction: an adolescent gynecologic perspective. Current Opinion In Obstetrics and Gynecology. 7(5): 367-70, Oct 1995.
- Edwards L A;Read L C;Nishio S J;Weir A J;Hull W;Barry S;Styne D;Whitsett J A;Tarantal A F;George-Nascimento C;et al. Comparison of the distinct effects of epidermal growth factor and betamethasone on the morphogenesis of the gas exchange region and differentiation of alveolar type II cells in lungs of fetal rhesus monkeys. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. 274(2): 1025-32, Aug 1995.
- Goetzman B W;Read L C;Plopper C G;Tarantal A F;George-Nascimento C;Merritt T A;Whitsett J A;Styne D. Prenatal exposure to epidermal growth factor attenuates respiratory distress syndrome in rhesus infants. Pediatric Research. 35(1): 30-6, Jan 1994.
- Styne D M. Physiology of puberty. Hormone Research. 41 Suppl 2: 3-6, 1994.
- Styne D M. The therapy for hypothalamic-pituitary tumors. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America. 22(3): 631-48, Sep 1993.
- Styne D M;McHenry H. The evolution of stature in humans. Hormone Research. 39 Suppl 3: 3-6, 1993.
- Styne D M. The growth hormone secretory response to growth hormone releasing factor in the developing rhesus monkey. Journal of Medical Primatology. 20(7): 338-44, Sep 1991.
- Styne D M. Serum insulin-like growth factor 1 concentrations in the developing rhesus monkey. Journal of Medical Primatology. 20(7): 334-7, Sep 1991.
- Wheeler M D;Styne D M. Drug treatment in precocious puberty. Drugs. 41(5): 717-28, May 1991.
- Styne D M. Puberty and its disorders in boys. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America. 20(1): 43-69, Mar 1991.
- Wheeler M D;Styne D M. The treatment of precocious puberty. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America. 20(1): 183-90, Mar 1991.
- Wheeler M D;Wehrenberg W W;Styne D M. Growth hormone regulation by growth hormone-releasing hormone in infant rhesus monkeys. Biology of The Neonate. 60(1): 19-28, 1991.
- Singh J S;Rall L B;Styne D M. Insulin-like growth factor I and II gene expression in Balb/C mouse liver during postnatal development. Biology of The Neonate. 60(1): 7-18, 1991.
- Wheeler M D;Styne D M. Diagnosis and management of precocious puberty. Pediatric Clinics of North America. 37(6): 1255-71, Dec 1990.
- Wheeler M D;Schutzengel R E;Barry S;Styne D M. Changes in basal and stimulated growth hormone secretion in the aging rhesus monkey: a comparison of chair restraint and tether and vest sampling. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 71(6): 1501-7, Dec 1990.
- Wheeler M D;Styne D M. Longitudinal changes in growth hormone response to growth hormone-releasing hormone in neonatal rhesus monkeys. Pediatric Research. 28(1): 15-8, Jul 1990.
- Styne D.M., Conte F.A., Kaplan S.L., Wilson C.B., Grumbach M.M.: Treatment of Cushing's disease in childhood and adolescence by tranphenoidal microadenomectomy. N Engl J Med 310 (14): 889-893, 1984.
- Styne D.M., Harris D.A., Egli C.A., Conte F.A., Kaplan S.L., Rivier J., Vale W., Grumbach M.M.: Treatment of true precocious puberty with a potent luteininzing homrone releasing factor agonist: Effect on growth, sexual maturation, pelvic sonography, and the hypothalamic pituitary gonadal axis. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 61: 152, 1985.
- Wheeler M.D., Styne D.M.: The nonhuman primate as a model of growth hormone physiology in the human being. Endocrine Reviews 9: 213-246, 1988.
- Wheeler, M.D., Styne D.M.: Longitudinal changes in growth hormone response to growth hormone-releasing hormone in neonatal rhesus monkeys. Pediatric Research 28 (1) 15-18, 1990.
- Wheeler M.D., Schutzengel R.E., Barry S. and Styne D.M.: Changes in basal and stimulated growth hormone secretion int he aging rhesus monkey. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and metabolism, 71: 1501-1507, 1990.