- Preservation Home
- History of the Preservation Department
- Conservation Treatment
- Care and Handling of Alternative Media
- Contact Us
- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
The Conservation Treatment Unit is responsible for the physical treatment of circulating materials that the library wishes to retain in hard copy. Materials meeting certain criteria are repaired in the Conservation Treatment Unit. Other damaged materials are either sent to the UC Bindery (via the Binding Services Unit) for recasing or rebinding, or to the Preservation Services Unit for reformatting.
Books needing attention are usually identified by the Circulation/Shelving staff who direct them to the Conservation Treatment Unit where determination of the best treatment options are considered.
In addition, materials from Special Collections or being transferred to Special Collections are brought to the Conservation Treatment Unit for minor or complex treatments or rehousing.
The Supervisor is also one of the coordinators for disaster preparedness and recovery activities.
Supervisor of Conservation Treatment
University of California, Davis
100 North West Quad
Davis, CA 95616-5292
The Preservation Department can only repair or bind materials which belong to the Library. For your convenience, we provide the following list. The list may not be current. It is not an endorsement of individual binders or binderies.
How to find:
Online Conservation Resources:
- CoOL (http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/) (Conservation OnLine)
- AIC (http://aic.stanford.edu/) (American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works
- Disaster Preparedness and Response - Links Page (http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/disasters/) — CoOL
- Preservation of Library & Archival Materials: a manual (http://www.nedcc.org/plam3/manhome.htm) — NEDCC
- Conservation Book Repair: A Training Manual (http://www.library.state.ak.us/hist/conman.html) — Alaska State Library
- A Simple Book Repair Manual (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~library/preservation/repair/) — Preservation Services, Dartmouth college Library (1996)
Useful Web pages from Other Libraries:
- Indiana University Libraries (http://www.indiana.edu/~libpres/)