UC Davis Library Timeline

1943: U.S. Signal Corps takes over the campus

The Library/Administration building became the headquarters for the U.S. Army Signal Corps School.

The main reading room on the second floor became the classroom for learning code. Of this period, Nelle Branch wrote, "With only the stack and circulation area in semi-library use we worked amid well simulated battle noises from the code room and a flying squad of electricians night and day from stack roof to Loan Desk."

Back to Timeline

Images (unless otherwise credited) are the property of the Regents of the University of California; no part may be reproduced or used without permission of the Department of Special Collections.