Ray, Martin and Eleanor. Papers.
Collection Number: D-335
- 19.4 linear feet
- Martin Ray was a California winemaker noted for his 100% varietal wines and his efforts to establish a quality control standard for California wines. He purchased the Paul Masson Winery and produced wine there from 1936 to 1942. In 1943 he established his own vineyard on nearby Mt. Eden and produced wines there until 1972. Eleanor Ray was instrumental in marketing the wines, handling public relations, and maintaining the correspondence for the business
- Correspondence, manuscripts, business files, clippings, public relations files, subject files relating to Quality Control, grape varieties and vintages, and legal files (including litigation documents).
- Inclusive Dates
- Viticulture and Enology
- Additional Collection Information
- Finding Aid on the Online Archive of California (http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c87946xw/)
- Many collections are stored offsite and need to be retrieved for your research visit. To begin the request process, researchers should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org at least seven business days before visiting. Please wait for confirmation that the collection is available before visiting.