- Photographic Collections
- Media & Digital Collections
- About the University Archives
- About Special Collections
- Print Collections
- Manuscript & Photograph Collections
- University Archives
- Research Projects
- Contact Us
- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
Reynolds, Christopher A. Collection of Women's Song.
Collection Number: D-435
- 15.3 linear feet
- Professor of Music, University of California, Davis.
Professor Reynolds has identified and collected sheet music written by women composers active in North America and England between 1850 and 1950. Women often had difficulty in having their works performed by orchestras and professional chamber ensembles, but were able to make a contribution as successful song writers. This collection consists of more than 3000 songs by women.
Professor Reynolds' project, "Women Song Composers: A Listing of Songs Published in the United States and the British Commonwealth, ca. 1890-1930" and a searchable database containing references to 15,400 songs by 1580 composers may be found at Merritt, a repository of the California Digital Library (http://http://n2t.net/ark:/13030/m5br8stc (http://http://n2t.net/ark:/13030/m5br8stc)). Data includes: composer, title, poet,publishers, cities of publication, years of publication, and accompaniment.
The items in Professor Reynolds' Collection of Women Song are being cataloged individually in the Harvest Library catalog. To search the items that have been cataloged to date, search in Harvest author = Christopher A. Reynolds Collection of Women's Song. A quick link to that search is provided below as "Search Harvest Catalog".
- Inclusive Dates
- circa 1800-1985.
- Performing Arts
- Additional Collection Information
- Finding Aid on the Online Archive of California (http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt1t1nf085/)
- Many collections are stored offsite and need to be retrieved for your research visit. To begin the request process, researchers should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org at least seven business days before visiting. Please wait for confirmation that the collection is available before visiting.