- Current Exhibits
- Archived Exhibits
- Special Collections
- Digital Initiatives Programs (Online Exhibits)
- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
Campus Community Book Project
Following the Great Migration: Researching the 2012 Campus Community Book Project Book
The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson
Peter J. Shields Lobby
Fall Quarter 2012 - Winter Quarter 2013
The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration, by Isabel Wilkerson has been selected for the 2012 Campus Community Book Project. Wilkerson's award-winning study of the Great Migration, the movement of almost six million African-Americans from the South between 1915 and 1970, draws on more than a thousand interviews to document this important chapter in American history.
Humanities and Social Sciences Librarian David Michalski has assembled some of the many library resources which complement The Warmth of Other Suns in an exhibit case in the main lobby of Peter J. Shields Library. In addition, he has put together a more comprehensive research guide online, which provides some parallel texts for examining and interpreting the profound influence the Great Migration had on American society and culture. This online guide includes interviews with Isabel Wilkerson, a list of influential books on the Great Migration, and links to archival sources and other research tools that can help animate the discussion of this year's book.
- See: Following the Great Migration (http://ucdavis.libguides.com/great_migration) – Guide by David Michalski
- Please visit the Campus Community Book Project (http://occr.ucdavis.edu/ccbp2012/) website.
- For more information about the exhibit or online research guide, contact the Library's Humanities, Social Sciences & Government Services Department: firstname.lastname@example.org