- Current Exhibits
- Archived Exhibits
- Special Collections
- Digital Initiatives Programs (Online Exhibits)
- Use the
- Connect From Off Campus
- For Faculty and Graduate Students
- For Undergraduate Students
- Scholarly Communication
Saratoga Horticultural Research Foundation
Changing California's Landscape
Previously on exhibit in the Peter J. Shields Lobby — Special Collections Display Cases
Now available as a Web Exhibit
The Saratoga Horticultural Research Foundation donated its archives along with funds to process the collection to Special Collections, University Library, University of California, Davis, in 2006. This exhibit chronicles the Foundation's role in creating ornamental landscapes perfectly suited to California's challenging climates.
The Saratoga Horticultural Research Foundation was founded in 1952 by a group of visionary horticulturalists and nurserymen committed to improving western horticulture. At the height of its membership, the Foundation had approximately 400 members engaged in research, educational outreach, and promotion of selected cultivars. In response to several years of drought, the Foundation actively encouraged the use of California native plants and trees, shade trees to maximize cooling, and alternative plantings for heavily-watered areas. This emphasis on low-water and shady ornamental landscapes made the Foundation one of the early promoters of water and energy conservation.
The finding aid for the Saratoga Horticultural Research Foundation collection is available at the Online Archive of California (http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt3m3nd10c).
This exhibit was created by Liz Phillips, Manuscript and Photograph Archivist, Special Collections, University Library, UC Davis.
For more information, please contact Daryl Morrison, Head of Special Collections, (530) 752‑2112, email@example.com.