Library Resources for Faculty and Graduate Students
- Course Reserves
- Put materials on reserve for your classes at either Shields Library
or the Carlson Health Sciences Library.
- Librarian Subject Specialists
- Contact the librarian specializing in your subject area to: arrange a
library instruction session, consult on a library assignment, find out
about databases and research tools in your discipline, or
recommend a book for purchase.
- Library Instruction
a custom library instruction class or consult a description and
schedule for drop-in
library classes. Guides and tutorials for using the library and
library resources are also available.
- Library Links for Course Web Pages
- Harvest UC Davis Library Catalog (http://harvest.lib.ucdavis.edu/)
- Search for books, journals and other items in the UC Davis libraries.
- Melvyl (http://ucdavis.worldcat.org)
- Search for books, journals and other items at all UC libraries, and
request materials from other UC campuses.
Journals By Title
- Browsable alphabetic list of full-text journal subscriptions.
Electronic journals are also accessible via UC-elinks from databases and
- Subject Guides
- Choose an article database by academic subject. General and
multidisciplinary databases are also listed here.
Electronic Databases By Title
- Multidisciplinary and subject-specific indexes and full-text
resources. Many indexes also link to full-text via UC-elinks.
Citation Managers (Endnote,
- Learn about bibliographic citation managers such as Endnote and
Procite. Get instructions for using filters and connections files to
import citations into Endnote from databases using
- Reshaping Scholarly Communication (http://osc.universityofcalifornia.edu/)
- Actions you can take to influence the scholarly communication system
and increase the impact and benefit of your scholarship.
- eScholarship provides a suite of open access, scholarly publishing
services and research tools that enable departments, research units,
publishing programs, and individual scholars associated with the
University of California to have direct control over the creation and
dissemination of the full range of their scholarship.
eScholarship also provides deposit and dissemination services for
postprints, or previously published articles.
- Scholarly Communication
- Learn about the latest developments, initiatives, and strategies to
address the crisis in scholarly communications.
- Scholarly Electronic Publishing
- News and information on cooperative electronic publishing projects
and alternatives to traditional commercial publishing.
- Sherpa (http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/)
- Check publisher copyright policies (http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo.php) and get information on copyright,
scholarly publishing, and self-archiving.
- Copyright & Intellectual Property
- Know your rights and responsibilities concerning copyright,
intellectual property, patents and trademarks.
- Guide to Library Services (http://science-grad-student-guide.pdf)PDF
- Guide to the library for new science graduate students.
Library Services & Contacts
- Request a Book/Article via ILL
- Use online forms to request books and articles not available at UC
- Document Delivery
- Request items from UC Davis libraries. Copies of journal articles are
delivered electronically wherever possible. Registration is required and
fees may apply to some staff and students.
- Obtain a library card, access your account, and authorize a student
or employee to check out materials for you with a proxy card.
- Connect From Off Campus
- How to connect from off campus using either the proxy server or VPN.
- Phone numbers and email addresses of library staff and library
departments, including a link to librarian subject specialists.
- Get the hours for the UC Davis libraries, including holidays and
- Get maps, floorplans and directions to the UC Davis libraries.
- Recommend a Title for Purchase
- Recommend a book or journal for purchase by the library.