Online Reference Shelf —
Dictionaries & Thesauri
- Restricted to UC Davis Campus and authenticated VPN/Proxy users
- Library Use or On-Campus Use Only
- Click on VPN to
access resource via Library VPN (requires Kerberos login)
Subject Specific Databases
- Dictionary of Old English/Old English Corpus (http://tapor.library.utoronto.ca/doecorpus/) VPN
- A complete record of surviving Old English except for some variant manuscripts of individual texts. A catalogue of the over 3000 texts included in the corpus is available in Angus Cameron's "A List of Old English Texts" in A Plan for the Dictionary of Old English, ed. R. Frank and A. Cameron (PE279.F7 Shields Library)
- A Plan for the Dictionary of Old English, ed. R. Frank and A. Cameron
Shields Library PE279 F7
- Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary [via Encyclopedia Britannica] (http://search.eb.com) VPN
- Licensed online version of the Merriam-Webster''s Collegiate Dictionary.
- Oxford English Dictionary (http://www.oed.com/) VPN
- (or OED) is an historical dictionary of English, covering the language from the earliest times to the present day. Entries contain detailed etymological analysis, illustrated by quotations from a wide range of sources.
- Roget's II: The New Thesaurus [via Bartleby.com] (http://www.bartleby.com/62/)
- Third edition, containing 35,000 synonyms and over 250,000 cross-references.
- Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged [via Chadwyck-Healy] (http://uclibs.org/PID/16454) VPN
- A dictionary of the English language containing 450,000 vocabulary entries. America's premier lexicographical work, one of the Individual Literature Collections in Chadwyck-Healy's Literature Online (LION),
- Date: 1993 edition