Online Reference Shelf —
- Restricted to UC Davis Campus and authenticated VPN/Proxy users
- Library Use or On-Campus Use Only
- Click on VPN to
access resource via Library VPN (requires Kerberos login)
Subject Specific Databases
- Conversion of Units (http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/chemistry/general/units_en.html)
- Uncludes temperature conversion.
- Universal Currency Converter (http://www.xe.com/ucc/)
- Global Books in Print (http://www.uclibs.org/PID/5814) VPN
- THE CDL HAS CANCELLED THE SUBSCRIPTION TO GLOBAL BOOKS IN PRINT. WE NO LONGER HAVE ACCESS. Global Books in Print (GBIP) offers a comprehensive and authoritative bibliographic database with some 5 million titles; 165,000 records on publishers, distributors, wholesalers and book agents;information on award winners, bestsellers; and over 500,000 full-text reviews. GBIP replaces and expands Books in Print (BIP). New in 2006, a readers' advisory tool called Fiction Connection. Search or browse Fiction Connection to find book reviews, authors, or topics of interest.
- Ulrich's Periodicals Directory (http://www.ulrichsweb.com/) VPN
- The standard source for information on virtually every active and ceased periodical, annual, irregular publication, and monographic series published throughout the world (plus thousands of newspapers). Indicates whether a publication is a refereed (peer-reviewed) title.
- Columbia Earthscape, an Online Resource on the Global Environment [via Columbia University Press] (http://uclibs.org/PID/1356) VPN
- Earthscape covers the earth sciences, including astronomy/remote sensing, ecosystems and environment, geology and seismology, forestry, meteorology and climate, oceanography, paleontology, and relevant news on these topics from late 20th Century to present. The Quick Answers section provides glossaries and FAQ's in these fields. The research tools on Earthscape include conference proceedings, seminars, lectures, and policy briefs; fully searchable databases, datasets and model systems; multi-media classroom resources; journal abstracts and selected full text articles such as full content of Earth Affairs Magazine. In addition, Earthscape features the full text and images of books and selected chapters, arranged both by topic and by publisher.
- Coverage: Varies
- Historical Statistics of the United States, Earliest Times to the Present, Millennial Edition [via Cambridge University Press] (http://uclibs.org/PID/108043) VPN
- Historical Statistics of the United States (HSUS) is the long-awaited 4th edition of the landmark government reference tool, last published in 1975. This expanded digital edition (available also as a five-volume print edition) updates and expands the original tables and introduces dozens of new topics. HSUS was culled from more than 1,000 sources to produce nearly 2,000 tables containing some 37,000 time series covering virtually every quantifiable dimension of American history: agriculture, population, the economy, government, welfare and work. Some data from the 1975 edition have been extensively revised, and data determined to be unreliable or inaccurate have not been included. Each series is fully documented and placed in historical context by a scholar in the field. Tables can be downloaded and viewed, as well as graphed and merged into custom tables.
- 5-volume print edition of Historical Statistics of the United States is available in Shields Library Gov Info Reference and H/SS Reference (HA202 .H57) and the Agricultural and Resource Economics Library (HA202 .H57 2006)
- Nobel Prize Internet Archive (http://nobelprizes.com/)
- Library of Congress Classification Outline (http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/lcco/)
- Subject organization of the Library of Congress Call number system used in the Library.
- Understanding Call Numbers (http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/dept/bioag/instruction/understanding-call-numbers-02-25-04.pdf)PDF
a guide to understanding call number arrangements in the UC Davis libraries.